Do Flea Traps Work?

Sick of those pesky fleas jumping on you and biting at your ankles? Flea traps are often used as a method to combat flea infestations in homes. They are cheap (under $15), easy to use. Plus, they do not contain any toxic chemicals, so they are safe for kids and pets. Do they really work in removing fleas in your house though?

This article will cover everything you need to know about flea traps, including how they work and if they are effective.

do flea traps work?How Flea Traps Work

As mentioned, flea traps are an easy, chemical free way treat a flea problem. They will target the adult fleas that are jumping around your home looking for a blood meal. All flea traps basically work in the same way. They have a sticky mat on the ground, and a light on above it. This is a very simple design, but it is effective. Here is how they work:

  • The mature fleas (and other insects) in your home will be naturally attracted to the light.
  • The light will warm up the sticky pad and surrounding area, simulating a warm blooded animal
  • Fleas will detect this warmth through their sensitive heat sensors
  • When the fleas jump onto the sticky pad looking for a blood meal, they will get stuck.

The flea traps you can purchase from stores will come with a grate to cover up the sticky pad. This prevents pets or children from touching the glue, but allows fleas to fall through and get captured.

Best Flea Traps

flea trap for home flea control

While flea traps are relatively cheap at under $15, you might opt for making your own flea trap. Read our guide on building a homemade flea trap.

Where to Place Flea Traps

Don’t know where to place your flea trap? The best places are where you notice the highest concentration of adult fleas. If you are not sure where the fleas are hanging out in your home, here some good guidelines:

  • Places where pets like to hang out, for example near bedding and kennels
  • Corners of carpets. Fleas commonly lay eggs in carpets, so they will be around
  • Near sofas or other furniture that create dark, undisturbed areas
  • In bedrooms near your bed. Fleas will be attracted to this area when you sleep
  • Rooms where people are often present. For example living rooms or home offices

Replacing the Sticky Pads

Your flea trap should start catching fleas quickly if you have fleas in your house. Over time the sticky pad is going to collect a bunch of adult fleas, as well as some debris and dust. As you can imagine, these glue pads can get pretty gross after a while with all the dead fleas on them. The beauty of these flea traps is you can simply toss the sticky pad in the trash, and replace it with a new one. When you purchase a new trap, it should come with at least one replacement pad. When you run out, you can purchase replacement glue pads by themselves:

Do Flea Traps Actually Work?

Flea traps do work, but they will not stop an infestation. This is because flea traps will only eliminate the adult fleas in your house, which make up around 5% of the infestation. The other 95% of the infestation are the offspring living in your carpet (10% in cocoons, 35% as larvae, and 50% as eggs). If you want to really stop an infestation you will need to kill the eggs, larvae, and cocoons. However, using flea traps will work well to get rid of the adults, and this is important to stop them from laying new eggs. To summarize, flea traps work well, but should be used in conjunction with other treatments to kill the flea eggs and larva.



Related posts:

  1. Homemade Flea Trap
  2. Do Flea Collars Work?
  3. Flea Spray for House
  4. Flea Powder for Carpets
  5. Homemade Flea Killer